May 15, 2011

the panda sews: free as a bird tote

i spotted the fabric that heather moore designed for cloud9 fabrics on a few sewing/fabric websites and instantly fell in love.  in an effort to keep my fabric purchases at bay, i held off purchasing some, although "free as a bird" was tempting me every time i trolled for fabric online.  i was surprised to see it for sale on fabric.com, and since i needed wanted to order the amy butler barcelona skirt pattern, i went ahead and picked up a yard. I LOVE IT. i knew it would pair great with some dark grey linen i got at hancock, so today i made tote bag, using the same lotta pattern i used for the mushroom tote.

note: when i made the mushroom tote, i had a hard time sewing the straps onto the bag. lotta says to attach them by sewing a rectangle - i did such a piss poor job on that thing, so i ripped up my initial stitches and re-did them {exercising more patience this time around}... it looks TONS better.  all that to say: when it came time to sew the handles onto this bag, i felt much more confident.

another note: i plan on buying some more of this fabric ASAP - i think it would make a lovely skirt!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Look at you go!!! I'm so happy that you have found something you love to do so much! You've inspired me to get back to the machine too!
    I went by Textile the other day and ALMOST paid full price for a few awesome fabrics, but the nice lady behind the counter tipped me off that they are soon to have one of their awesome 50% off sales! Whew!
    I'm sure you get their promo emails too, but I'll forward it to you when I get it!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think i'm signed up for their emails, so please do!
    i bought the amy butler skirt pattern, so if you want to get together and finish your skirt up/borrow it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete